USMNT to play at Allianz Field in 2019
Allianz Field has been selected as a host venue for the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup and will host the U.S. men’s national team in their first competitive match since World Cup qualifiers in late 2017. Minnesota United hopes that Allianz Field could be viewed as a new fortress of sorts for the USMNT to play in during the next round of World Cup qualifying.
Costs of construction on Allianz Field have since raised to an estimated $250 million from the original estimated $150 million to $200 million range.
At a ceremony announcing the Gold Cup venue, ESPN’s Taylor Twellman commented on MNUFC’s progress with the stadium, new training facility, and roster building saying the club is “doing this the right way and the right way very quickly.”
- MNUFC defender and captain Francisco Calvo has been called up to Costa Rica’s World Cup roster.
- Madison, Wisconsin, was named as a founding member for USL Division III.
- In an alternate universe, Matthew Doyle would name MNUFC winger Miguel Ibarra to his USMNT 2018 World Cup squad.
- USMNT midfielder Erik Palmer-Brown opens up on his season on loan at Kortrijk in Belgium and his optimism for the U.S.’s younger generation.
- Minnesota United invited a few college players to training this week.
- Macalester College has named Krystle Seidel as head women’s soccer coach. Siedel was recently associate head coach at the University of Minnesota.
- Atletico Madrid defeated Marseille 3-0 in the UEFA Europa League final.
FiftyFive.One is now on Patreon. Do you like the independent coverage of soccer news from Minnesota and beyond that FiftyFive.One offers? Please consider becoming a patron.